How to Maintain your Salon Style at Home
Nothing is more frustrating that spending your hard-earned money on a fabulous hairstyle, and then finding yourself in a ponytail 3 days later because you just couldn’t make it last. Your stylist can do amazing work, but there is no magic spell that will repel gravity, weather, and the pillow away from your hair. Don’t worry. There is still hope, Dolls! This week, we’re bringing you some key tips to make that hot salon style last once you get home.
- New hair color? Relax on the shampoo- If you normally shampoo your hair twice a week, try to cut back to once per week. Invest in a shampoo intended for color-treated hair, or even try co-washing. This will help your color last longer and stay bright.
- Pick the right products.- No matter was the budget brands tell you, vaseline is not going to give you the same edge control as the professional-grade pomade your stylist used during your visit. It is worth it to invest in a good product, and your stylist should be able to offer you the best suggestions at the end of your salon visit. Some salons, like All Dolled Up, make the products they use available for purchase by clients.
- Ask questions!- A good stylist would be happy to explain to you the basics of maintaining your style. Don’t be afraid to ask if you aren’t sure how to tie your hair up at night, or if you need to know how to get that one curl to point in the right direction.
- Invest in an applicator bottle.- They’re very cheap at any beauty supply store, but worth their weight in gold. An applicator bottle with the pointed tip will allow you to apply oils and other products directly to your scalp without drastically disturbing your style.
- Satin at night!- Use a satin scarf, bonnet, or pillowcase to protect your hair at night. The satin lets your hair slide across so that you don’t get caught in the fabric fibers, which leads to dryness, frizz, and breakage. (This is a general hair health rule, but it also helps maintain your style.)
- Don’t get wet!- Shower caps will be your best friend when you’ve got a fresh style. Use them.
- Here are some tips specifically for stretching out your relaxer.
Stay beautiful, Dolls!