For Tight, Defined Curls, Try this Straw Set Tutorial
A straw set is a great way to get fabulous, tight curls on a budget. It can be a versatile style, and doesn’t require any special skills on your part. The best part is, most of the supplies can be found in your local dollar store!
You will need:
1-2 packs of straws
a Cream Moisturizer (Recommended: DE Naturals Honey Curl Forming Custard)
a Styling Gel (Recommended: DE Naturals Defining Creme Gel)
a Silk Scarf
a Spray bottle to keep the hair damp
a Detangler (Recommended: Paul Mitchell Detangler Comb)
- Separate clean, damp hair into 4 large sections.
- In one section, separate a small section and clip the rest back.
- Apply a small amount of moisturizer and gel to the section and work through, focusing on the ends of the hair.
- Detangle this section to remove knots.
- If your hair is short, you may want to clip the straws to a shorter length for comfort.
- Wrap the hair around the straw in a spiral pattern until the straw is flat against your scalp. Insert a bobby pin into the end of the straw nearest your scalp to secure.
- Once all hair is secured in this manner, tie a silk scarf to protect your hair while it dries. This can be underneath a dryer or air drying overnight.
- Once dry and cooled, remove the bobby pins and straws. Take care to follow the direction of the curl to minimize frizz.
- Style as desired! You look fabulous!
Here is a short video to illustrate the process:
Enjoy! And don’t forget to share pictures of your fabulous DIY ‘do on our Facebook Page!!